Saturday, June 6, 2009

Gogs


So the problem with having an 83 year old friend is that when she goes missing, incommunicado for a day or so, chances are she's landed back in the hospital. This is unlike my other friends who when I'm craving for a catch up and they have gone missing, usually meaning they are inconsolably hungover or camped out in a cave of love with a new captive.
Jacque, my "adopted grandma slash senior friend" has become a member of my inner circle. And that has nothing to do with the fact that she's a mean cook who loves to feed me. Sometimes her spirit is younger than mine and yet she's also an anchor as am I somehow to her. The kindest moment ever was when this road rager was about to go anger-epileptic on me because my car was blocking a driveway (selfishly sure, yeah sometimes I do think the world can pause button a mo' for me), yet as he was in mid-tirade about my life-threatening selfishness, she sweetly interrupted, unafraid of his lashing aggression, looked in his eyes and said, "she is the most unselfish woman you could ever know."
I'm sure there are compliments others pay me, unfortunately landing on sometimes def ears incapable of receiving compliments with grace, but that sweet arrow struck. And it melted a better part of the tough girl stuff in my heart. :*)
83 or 29, we live of borrowed time, tumbling towards our mysterious best by date. I'm not going to start a carpe diem pep session, I'm just saying, suck the plump nectar now. And be kind. To you and others. Some days we have the momentum to better the world and some days we are only able to better the day of another. This is enough. Start there.

No comments:

Post a Comment