Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Rich Mind



Word of the Week

fris⋅son

NOUN [free-sohn; Fr. free-sawn-sohnz; Fr. -sawn]
.
a sudden, passing sensation of excitement; a shudder of emotion; thrill.

Use: Seeing the man streak through the streets gave me a slight frisson that cascaded through my body. Thank you streaking man!


I first saw the word frisson used in an Anais Nin diary.

It's from the vintage French word, shiver (friçons). Oh that naughty Anais. She is well known for her tryst with Henry Miller's wife June (as well as a life long affair with provacauter Miller), however what's less known is that she wrote about some naughty with her father as an adult (I believe it was slight surrealist fantasy with the seeds of flirtatious truth). She was also legally married to two men (one on each coast, and one far younger than her) who never found out about each other until after her passing.

She often cited Djuna Barnes as a literary inspiration, when I was in NY last (best town for used books in the world) I picked up one of Djuna's books and can't wait to get my nose in it. In fact, I named my first jewelry collection "Djuna."




2 comments:

  1. Anais Nin documents her adult affair with her father in the aptly titled book 'Incest.' There has long been question as to its validity. Recently discovered letters between her father and Anais seem to confirm the affair indeed happened. Visit http://tinyurl.com/p7tynv for one of his early seductive letters to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul you are awesome. Thx for the Thoughtsicle. The angel and diablo are whispering on your shoulder, which do you give your ear to?

    ReplyDelete